Who to Notify

  • Tell family members and friends
  • Employer or educational establishments
  • Health professionals – You may need to cancel any outstanding hospital, dental, podiatry or other health related appointments
  • Agencies providing care such as social services, home carers, meals on wheels and day centres

Financial organisations

  • Banks/National Savings/building societies
  • Insurance companies (for example: life, buildings/contents, medical, car, travel)
  • Pension providers
  • Credit card/store card providers
  • Any other financial institutions must be informed so that any accounts solely in the name of the Person who has died can be frozen to prevent fraud. You should also inform companies/organisations with joint accounts, although these should normally still be accessible by the other joint holder

Property and utilities

  • Mortgage provider
  • If the Person who has died lived in rented accommodation, inform the local authority, housing association or private landlord
  • Buildings and property insurance companies to ensure continued cover especially if the property is left unoccupied
  • Utility companies (electricity, gas, water and telephone) and arrange transfer of account details if necessary
  • TV/internet companies

Government offices

The Governments ‘Tell Us Once‘ service is most helpful for the following items as it takes care of most Government related departments on one form:

  • Pensions Service or Jobcentre Plus to cancel any benefits to the Person who has died or their carer
  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs to deal with tax and Child Benefit payments (if applicable)
  • Local government offices that provide services such as the Electoral Register, housing benefit, council tax office, bus pass, disabled parking permits, library membership
  • The DVLA and the insurance company if the deceased owned a car or held a driving licence
  • The Passport Agency

Other contacts

  • Arrange redirection of post if necessary and reduce the burden of any unwanted mail by registering with the Bereavement Register
  • Inform any clubs/membership organisations/social groups
  • If the person who has died held a firearms licence for work and/or recreational purposes, please contact their local police force and ask to speak to the Firearms Department.

First Steps

Get in touch